Director of Product DesignFull-Time/New York
We’re seeking a Director of Product Design to join our Product Design team. You’ll report to the VP of Product Design, and collaborate with your fellow product design director. You are a systems thinker with a deep understanding of the product development process. You will work with User Research, Data Science, Product Management, Marketing, Engineering, Sales, Ops, and senior leadership to balance design and product work with business goals.
As a Product Design Director, you’ll develop strategies to facilitate designers’ work across squads. You ensure that teamwork is aligned to a shared understanding of business goals, design principles with an eye towards outcomes.
You will identify and help set product strategy, envision complex UX ecosystems, and inspire teams to push the boundaries of what’s possible. You possess a clear vision of the future of experiences and pursue forward-thinking design.
In this role, you will
- Drive the design vision and strategy for growth and internal tools units.
- Foster a culture of open dialog and design thinking grounded in research and analytics.
- Lead a team of interdisciplinary designers – manage resourcing, mentor each designer on professional development.
- Lead design critiques and reviews. Coach designers to lead design sprints and workshops.
- Partner effectively with discipline leaders to frame problems, mine for insights, align on product definition.
- Iterate on an evolving design system.
- Work to deliver an experience vision and develop a plan to iteratively actualize a larger vision over time.
- Work with Marketing to ensure consistency between product experiences and brand expression.
- Nurture design excellence through feedback, modeling, guidance.
- An articulate communicator with strong writing skills
- Comfortable with ambiguity, constraints, and are graceful under pressure
- Understanding of diverse and inclusive hiring practices
On Your Resume
- 10+ years in Product Design and/or UX Design (or equivalent) and 2+ years experience recruiting, hiring, and retaining multi-disciplinary design teams
- A strong portfolio that demonstrates high-level understanding of complex user experiences. Your portfolio demonstrates product/application/service/e-commerce design v. marketing, one-off app designs.
- Strong understanding of the technology behind software development, and how it can liberate or limit design
- Strong ability to accelerate team efficiency by improving processes and workflows within the design team and cross-functional teams
- Proven track record of being able to balance ambiguity, sprint cycles, business awareness, technology, organizational agility, research and data insights, and high design quality
- Extensive and relevant work experience leading and growing a high-performing product design team, as part of a product-oriented software company
- Extensive experience with prototyping to explore and convey design solutions
- Experience with collaborating with diverse teams in a dynamic, rapid growth environment
- Demonstrated leadership experience closely partnering with product managers to develop the strategy and rationale for features
Life at BrainPOP
Our commitment to supporting and empowering teachers and students is reflected in our dedication to enhancing the lives of our employees—in and out of the office.
Our team is made up of educators, data scientists, published authors, engineers, artists, bakers, film buffs, cyclists, dual-citizens, and so much more. We value collaboration and learning from multiple perspectives.
Besides offering a comprehensive benefits package and putting an emphasis on work-life balance, we make it a point to integrate fun and play into the workplace.
- Monthly Wellness Activities
- Catered Wednesday community lunches
- 401K with a company match
- Local Fitness Studio Partnerships
- Learning & Development Opportunities
- Seasonal In-Office Activities
- Friends & Family BrainPOP Subscriptions
What we do today directly impacts how teachers teach, and students learn. We continue to be inspired because we can see the difference we’re making and we’re proud to be a creative, collaborative, always-teaching and always-learning community.
We believe that a diverse organization is a more effective organization. BrainPOP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.