UX DesignerFull-Time/New York
BrainPOP, a leading creator of online digital educational content including animated movies, student creation tools, learning games, interactive quizzes, and other related activities, seeks a mid-level UX Designer. In this role, you will create and improve the experience of our resources for students, teachers, and school leaders, focusing on simplicity and clarity. This position is based in our NYC headquarters.
As our UX Designer, you’ll be the team member who dives into a project first, to investigate the problem space and define the challenges for us to solve. You’ll go into the classroom to see how teachers and students are using BrainPOP, and collaborate with Product, Business, and Engineering to understand their points of view. Our ideal candidate designs with empathy and consideration for the goals, thoughts, and feelings of the customer, creating workflows that fit into the cycle of the school year and reflect how they want to use BrainPOP. You are resourceful and thorough in pressure-testing your designs against the full range of use cases, content, and data. You’re excited to learn new things and improve the ways we work together (e.g. testing out an emerging survey tool for user research or a different approach to communicating with remote team members).
- Collaborate with Product, Development, and Business teams to understand our goals, gather requirements, and create user stories.
- Work closely with User Research and Product to identify research topics and help conduct interviews and usability testing.
- Design and deliver complex wireframes, sitemaps, and workflows.
- Diagram models and approaches to help explain concepts and architect conversations.
- Create product prototypes to help test concepts.
- Help analyze user feedback and activity and iterate to improve the user experience.
- Identify design problems and devise elegant solutions within reasonable constraints.
- Take a design approach and rapidly test and iterate.
- Develop personas, usage scenarios, and journey maps.
- Demonstrable UX design skills with a strong portfolio
- Interest in making great educational products that help students learn
- Experience in crafting streamlined, user-centric workflows and information architecture
- Ability to extract, analyze, shape, and articulate requirements from a UX perspective
- Work with Product and Engineering to strategize lean, short term releases for long term goals.
- Ability to design for complex workflows that span multiple user types
- Ability to present your designs and sell your solutions to various stakeholders
- Experience with cross-functional teams and remote development teams
- Prototyping using various tools to refine design ideas with actual customer feedback
- Proficiency in Sketch and emerging tools
- Relentless attention to detail
- Experience in designing for accessibility
- Experience with designing responsive websites and mobile apps
- Excellent collaboration and verbal and written communication skills
- Applied UX writing skills
- An up-to-date understanding of the latest UX trends, techniques, and technologies
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include “UX Designer” in the SUBJECT field. No phone calls or recruiters, please.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer